What to Know About Your Hot Outlet and When to Worry

Author: Passey Electric. |


Hot outlets can pose a serious fire hazard in the home. It is important to be aware of the dangers of hot outlets and take steps to prevent them from occurring. Keep reading the article below to learn everything you need to about hot outlets.

Electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year in the United States, resulting in 340 deaths, 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. While any type of fire has the potential to be dangerous, electrical fires are particularly hazardous because they can spread quickly and are often difficult to extinguish.

What Causes Hot Outlets?

There are several possible causes of hot outlets. One possibility is that the outlet is overloaded. When too many appliances are plugged into one outlet, the circuit can become overloaded and cause the outlet to become hot. Another possibility is that the outlet is old and needs to be replaced. Outlets can also become hot if they are not properly grounded.

What Are the Dangers of Hot Outlets?

Hot outlets can pose a severe fire hazard. If an outlet is hot, it means that there is an electrical current flowing through it. This can cause the outlet to spark or catch fire. Hot outlets can also damage the appliances that are plugged into them.

How Can You Prevent Hot Outlets?

There are several things that you can do to prevent hot outlets. One thing that you can do is to make sure that you do not overload outlets. Do not plug more than two appliances into one outlet. Another thing that you can do is to inspect your outlets regularly. If you notice that an outlet is hot, unplug all appliances from it and have an electrician check it.

When Should You Worry?

You should definitely address the issue of a hot outlet in case of any of the following:

  • If you see sparks or a burning smell when you plug something in
  • If a cord or outlet is damaged or exposed
  • If an outlet is loose
  • If an outlet is discolored
  • If an outlet is making a humming or hissing sound
  • If an outlet is smoking
  • If an outlet is not working
  • If you have a tripped circuit breaker
  • If you have a blown fuse

Test all the wiring in your home to see if there are any issues that need to be fixed. There is a good chance that the outlets are not working because the connections are loose or the wires are cut. Turn off the electricity and check the wiring of all the outlets that you think are not working. Check to see if the screws are tight, if the wires are cut, or if the wires are crimped.

Use a digital thermometer gun to scan the outlet and wires for a rise in temperature. This will help identify the problem. Hiring an electrician is a good idea if you are not confident in your own electrical skills.


If you have any unusual smells coming from your outlets or if it is hot, it’s best to call an electrician to inspect it. This is vital to ensuring the safety of your property and its occupants.

Do you need the expertise of an electrical company in Lethbridge? Turn to Passey Electric. We provide complete electrical solutions to residential, farm wiring, and commercial establishments across Raymond, Southern Alberta. Whether it be new construction or maintenance, we have the tools and ability to help you with your needs. Get in touch.