4 Frequent Electrical Problems That Might Endanger Your Life

Author: Passey Electric. |


In the vast majority of circumstances, we take power for granted, especially in our homes and workplaces. When you need electricity, you just turn on the nearest switch, and there it is, ready to serve you twenty-four hours a day. It provides light, regulates temperature, and runs all technologies, appliances, and devices we use daily.

The truth is, it is quite a debilitating experience to lose electricity, even for a short period. Without power, refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners no longer function properly, let alone the microwave, stove, and coffee maker.

Electrical problems might occur at any time and in an unexpected manner. When they do, you need to be sure that you have the right tools and have contacted all necessary power companies. This way, you can repair the problem and get power flowing again as quickly as possible.

Here are four frequent electrical problems that might endanger your life.

1. Electrocution

Electrocution is caused by an electric current passing through the body, which can lead to death. It happens when an electric current passes through the heart, resulting in cardiac arrest. The body is also burned when current passes through it.

It can be caused by an electrical shock from an exposed wire, water, or other conductive material. It can also happen due to a fault in an electrical circuit or equipment.

2. Circuit Overload

While circuit overload is not necessarily a death-causing situation, it is still a severe and potentially dangerous electrical problem. 

It occurs when the currents entering and exiting a specific circuit part are too high. It can cause fuses to blow out and circuits to shut down. It can also shorten the life of other electrical equipment.

3. Overheat

When a fuse blows, it prevents the wires from overheating. If the fuse repeatedly blows, it may indicate that the house has another problem, such as a short circuit.

Overheated wires can give off sparks, igniting flammable materials in the house. Damaged cables can also cause fires in the walls, ceiling, and floor.

4. Ground Fault

A ground fault is caused when a connection happens between a hot wire and a ground wire. This fault can occur if someone drills through a hot wire or water seeps into the ground wire.

This is a serious situation because the voltage-current can be carried to the ground wire, which should not be the case. A person can receive a potentially lethal electric shock in such an event. The electricity then travels to the ground through a person and is extinguished.


Although seldom discussed, electrical issues like these can be dangerous and can even be a matter of life and death. When dealing with electrical difficulties in your house, make sure to take the required safeguards, such as calling your local power provider.

If you encounter electrical issues, be sure to follow the correct procedure to avoid electrocution or fire. Avoid dealing with the matter yourself to keep you and your family safe. Reach out to an electrician right away to help save the day before the situation worsens.

Are you having problems with your electrical wirings and need an electrician near Lethbridge? Passey Electric is here at your service. 

Throughout Raymond, Southern Alberta, we provide complete electrical solutions for residential, agricultural wiring, and commercial enterprises. We offer the skills and expertise to assist you with your needs, whether for new construction or maintenance. Contact us now!